2020 Annus Horibilis


Jeez! I realized that I tend to just post one article per year despite telling myself to write more. By now I am sure everyone knows that this year is quite an impactful one. A year that we wish could be erased or restarted. For me this year has been quite an eventful one. 

It all started quite steadily, thinking this year will be the year we Malaysians will make that leap from a developing to a developed nation, Wawasan 2020. But then even before the year started things are already brewing, locally and internationally. 

Back in December 2019, we heard about the outbreak in China about this weird novel coronavirus. Then suddenly in January, this novel virus touch based in Malaysia. And before we know it, BOOM! we have a change in Government! an outbreak! WHO declared that this new virus named Covid-19 a pandemic. 

Besides the pandemic, another thing brewed and exploded. A sudden maneuver from some of our politicians and then BOOM we have a new government. Next thing we know a national lockdown movement control order (MCO) was implemented. The whole country went to a standstill. New Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are being introduced. Now basic everyday activities that we took for granted are being controlled. Things like going to shops, strolling at the park, or taking a car ride became controlled. We all have a curfew where at 8pm we have to be at home. Shops are closed and the streets are being patrolled by police every now and then.  

Suddenly we see 2 common faces, on the screen. Seeing them weirdly brings both anxiety and calm. Because we do not know whether is it good news or bad news. Sometimes both.  

Now every day it is common to see a few types of news. New cases, political squabbles, new clusters, or famous celebs being infected by the virus. We all now look like stockbrokers looking at their stocks, wondering if it is going up or down. Just that now is whether how many new cases. Where are the new clusters and which mall has cases? Not to mention we also have our political news, which coincidentally also have a great deal about numbers 😁. 

Sports globally have also been hit. Suddenly feels damn weird watching football without fans in the stands. Or the NBA finals where fans are projected on screens. Just weird. But hey, the show must go on.

Food-wise, I have been eating at home more now. I have become so familiar with e-commerce platforms. Now everything I order is online. Lunch? online. Dinner? online. Need a new mouse? online. The only things I still head to the shop to buy are my snacks or my drinks.  

Going back to work after two months of lockdown MCO was weird. I remember the first day, I was walking back and forth from my car as I kept on forgetting something. First was my car keys, then my phone then my office tag. Finally got in the car and BAM! I've forgotten about my mask! 

Talking about MASK! It's a normal daily attire now. I've even taken the liberty to order a few masks. Some were made by my sis and mom (yes, they were kinda bored sitting at home as well). So now I can literally wear a different mask every day. I embrace the mask fashion like how I embraced my glasses fashion, it is part of my face now. 

How going to work causes some anxiety as well. We don't know who has the virus. A single cough or that slight sneeze by a colleague jolts me up and sometimes cringes me. Even my wife was paranoid when I choked on my spicy Maggi Asam Laksa that day. She was questioning me as if I stole some Maggi and kept it in my throat. "Why are you coughing? since when?!" while trying to gasp for air... I told her "spi...cy... ma...ggi! choki...ng". Back to work, meetings now are also shorter and if we need to meet someone that is out of the office, we just have to stay in the office and video call. No more rushing, no more wasting time traveling. Long ass meetings now can be done in 20mins. 

Well, there is some silver lining this year as well. Lesser traffic, I barely get caught in traffic after work. Lifts are now so much more bearable, gone are the days where I have to rub shoulders and smell people's hair cream (yes because I am tall! and people's head is always around my nose or chin level). Parkings are bliss and no more super packed restaurants. Eateries are now cleaner and more organized. No more crowds. Nights are now more peaceful. I remember during the MCO, I would just sit on my balcony at 10pm and enjoy the peace and quiet. Bliss. It is every introvert's dream.

But this year went by really fast, in just a blink of an eye or a deep breath thru the mask, and it is already December. Is there good news next year? I really hope so. Something is already brewing this month and that is the vaccine for Covid-19! So let's hope next year will be a better one. Let's really hope! God, I miss traveling and I miss the beach! Onwards to 2021!

Comments