Trying to Stay Alive During My Mid Life


So I have now reached the age where I think I can be considered as mid-life. Am I in a crisis? I don't know. Things that used to be blurred are now clear, and things that used to be clear are now blurred. I often come across this line "mid-life crisis" back when I was younger and what was portrayed are always people who decided to get a damn nice new car or have a fling or go on a spending spree.

Me? I can't afford it! I can't afford to have a mid-life crisis. I can't buy a new car or a house or take a long expensive trip overseas (not that we can travel now as well). So, can I say that I have a "mid-life-crisis" crisis? 

Well looking at it, people of our generation are not maturing as much as our parent's era or our grand parent's era. Heck, we even look more youthful and vibrant than our parents at the same age. Maybe it is the lifestyle and dressing. We don't dress as formal as our parents do. We are more casual. Maybe society as a whole grew younger. My mom doesn't look like my grandma at the same age. When my grandma was the same age as my mom, she looks way older. So yes maybe it's the lifestyle.  

I am still gaming, via console, mobile, or PC. I still watch movies and animes. I still enjoy my fast-food and most importantly, I still try to joke around. 

But one thing I know that constantly pulls me back to the "age reality" is my health. Once I hit my 30s, boy, did everything I did in my 20s caught up. Now that I am near my 40s, the catching up is almost complete. My heart will be like "LET'S GO PLAY BASKETBALL!" and my mind, together with my now iron-plated spine, stand side-by-side and in unison saying "NO! YOU CRAZY AH?!". Well, the majority wins I guess. So I sit my fat ass down and continue with my mid-life-crisis crisis and play my mobile game while guiltily munch on my snacks.   

As we know the Coronavirus pandemic recently exploded into the scene. I have to say it came at a timely moment. I can't imagine if it happened 15-20 years ago. I would have been so bored much smarter, haha. There were no smartphones back then or Netflix. Only a super slow internet connection, my books, and the snake game on my handphone. Somehow you will start reading the book as there won't be anything else to do during the lockdown. But it happened at his age. Right at the start of my mid-life-crisis crisis. So I prolonged delayed the start of the crisis by working from home, catching up with all the animes that I could not download watch back then due to the super slow internet, and playing my mobile and PC games. In other words, this made the mid-life-crisis crisis even more worse as now I am becoming a mid-life crisis couch potato by force. 

But hey! I get to catch up with some of the things I missed about my youth, and also I get to reflect and maybe dig myself out of this mid-life-crisis crisis and upgrade myself back to mid-life-crisis mode proper. Perhaps all the plans that I was supposed to start rolling in 2020 (flying cars and stuff) can slowly begin to fail so I can properly go into my crisis. You know, buy me a new gaming PC with the excuse that I will start my side hustle... wait, I already did that. Geez, thank you pandemic, now my super-fast PC is being used for anime. Well, maybe I should just follow the age-old buy a supercar and regret after my first super expensive service. Perhaps... perhaps...

Well jokes aside, I am grateful to be still alive and kicking (barely) as I approach my mid-life. So far so good, not so much in a crisis but more of a crossroads or finding that balance in life as we reach a more advanced age. At times I do look at my friends and peers that are more financially sound than me and thought, "Which path did I divert from and which path did they went that makes the difference?". We were at par at school but not now. Then I told myself, we all walk a different path, I chose my passion over financial gains. We are richer in different ways. I had a close call back then and now my health is my wealth and my family love is my... richness (I can't of anything that rhymes). End of the day I am just glad that I am still alive! 

Cheers to the start of my mid-life!

Comments