The Path of Self Actualization and Realization

Recently I came across a few articles and videos that triggered me to think deeper about myself as a person. I would say that this is NOT an academic point of view but just what I have gathered and observed throughout my life. 

All my life I have always asked myself or my parent lots of questions about life. 

"Why are some people smarter?"

"How come some can be so successful?"

"What they do that I didn't that made them reach that level?"

and many more questions which my dad will just say, "You are you. You walk your own road"

Until today, oftentimes I let all these thoughts intoxicate me. To a certain point where it truly affected my view on my own life. I started asking questions about myself and my value as an individual towards society. I have friends who started on the same level as me in school and are now more "successful". But what is success? what is the definition of success? More money? Big house? More kids? A higher position in the corporate world? Bigger cars? Traveled more? Success is defined by myself. 

Recently, these questions popped up again and I was trying to find the answer and it was really dragging me deeper and deeper to a certain extent I felt I was drowning. I was hanging on too much to my past and worrying too much about my future. Focusing on too many things just did not make me happy and neglecting what I already have at the present.

Then after going through some articles and some videos only to be reminded that I always have the answer in me all the time. In fact, I was doing it every now and then but not at one go and not conscious about it entirely. But now I thought, what the heck I shall just write it down in here so that if by chance you read it, it can help you. Here are some of the values I knew but forgotten to practice:

  1. Count your blessings - focusing on what you have
  2. Be grateful and appreciative
  3. Accept people for who they are and what they do and what they say. Everyone is different and have their own point of view
  4. Forgive 
  5. Learn to let go/move-on
  6. Focus on the present
  7. Focus on the positive things and acknowledge the negative things. 
  8. Run your own race
  9. Don't take things personally
  10. Let go of your pride and ego
  11. Empathize. Just like no.3. Try looking from their perspective
  12. Nothing is permanent, whether it is good or bad moments
It is only recently I decided to take a short time off and did a self-reflection only to remember those 12 values. Not trying to sound too cliche but I really felt a huge burden lifted. My mind suddenly became clearer and my smile came back. I am focused on my goals and also I am happy with myself again.

As I mention earlier, I write this is not just to share but also to remind myself once again if I lost my way in the future. To remind myself that there is always a better way to look at things. 

To end this post, here is one of the videos that I find really interesting. It helped me and I hope it can help you too.

Cheers! 

Comments