I think I am having a burnout


What is burnout? Burnout as stated in helpguide.org shared "is a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands".

I have to say every now and then I have gone through burnout. My most recent one is the past few months. 

Well, the last couple of years have taken everyone around the world for quite a ride. I know I have been on quite a ride. Emotionally it has been quite draining. 

On a personal level, there was a multitude of situations over the last 2 years that drains the life and energy out of me. Emotionally, physically and mentally draining. From having my plan scuppered to heading to a career direction that is not to my preference. From the loss of loved ones to unforeseen conflict and the frustration of the ongoing fracas on the political and governmental level. 

Being unable to move around or to have a good break has also taken its toll on most of us. 

Without realizing it, I have reached to a point where I am burnout, physically and mentally. What triggered me is when a friend of mine asked what had happened to me, what happened to that passionate person he once knew.  That prompted me to read up and looked up some of my symptoms, and then this video came along.



It was then I realized that it happened gradually and without realizing it, I was digging into a trench deeper and deeper. I have to snap out of it. I was lucky my friend was blunt enough to shoot straight at me.

As much as I reminded my mantra from this article I wrote previously here, I guess sometimes we need someone from the outside to help snap us out of it. It can happen even to the best of us. 

I guess I really needed a short break and a breather. But for now it is still a long shot as we are all stuck at home. Till the moment we can travel out, I guess I will just have to manage! 

Plus, now I can add one more line to my mantra and that is to find a friend who don't mind whacking you back in line! hahaha. I learn something new again!

If you have gone through similar situations, feel free to share what did you do to survive the burnout.

Comments