As we get older...



Does staying true to yourself means anything?

When I was younger, I would beat my chest and tell the world that I will not change and I will stay true to myself. We watch movies where people always remain the same and goes back to the roots no matter how far we have gone. It was back then. Movies back then show this. But as we have gotten older, as I have gotten older, I have realised that people are not like that. People change and people grow older.

Just like my previous article written a few months back, even I have changed after a traumatic experience. From what I know, I have also witnessed how most people changed either for the better or for the worse.

I've realised that we may think we are the same but if we really look at ourselves, think hard and look hard. We will realise that we have changed ourselves. Like I said, I used to beat my chest and say I will not change. In values maybe but not personality. I am crankier now compared to back then. I have a more laid back outlook compared to back then. Take football, for example, I used to get really irritated if I have to miss a game but now I am just fine to miss it just for a couple more hours of sleep.

Perhaps our priorities have changed. Things that matter most have now dropped further down the list. We have started to learn to prioritise things that matter to us more now. Family, fame, fortune and many more. The thing we called life shapes us.

From a reliable friend to a friend that you never even see anymore. From someone jovial and positive to a grumpy and negative person. From a dependable person to someone who you don't even dare to ask to do anything for you.

Perhaps that is why sometimes we tend to do something that some say it is so childish but we do it anyway, like goofing around, laughing like mad with family and friends, playing games and so on. Perhaps this is to try to reignite that past glory or memory, or perhaps our past selves, even for a moment. But sadly, things we used to do for long hours or days now only last for minutes or a few short hours. Our life crept back in and drag us back.

It is the sad truth about life but again, life has to go on. People change and we have to deal with it. I guess it is part and parcel of this journey we call life.

Comments