Past 2 years

In just a blink of an eye, we have almost completed another cycle around the sun. Weirdly I just had a back-to-back chat with my friend then my colleague and coincidently both conversations led to how time flies and what did we did the past 2 years.  

My colleague was telling me how quiet and bland the last 2 years were and how these 2 years flew by just like that. And like I mentioned, coincidentally my friend was saying the same thing in another chat. How he planned for a trip at the start of last year only to be canceled due to the pandemic. 

At first, I agree with them that how much these 2 years flew by, then suddenly like a bolt of lightning my mind reflected the last 2 years. I did not have a quiet 2 years. In fact, my past 2 years were rather filled with different levels of emotions. Happiness to fear, to sadness to anger. 

In fact, I think the events and lessons I learned in the past 2 years really thought me something. How much we have to love and know ourselves. Why?

First, how much we need to spend more quality time with our loved ones, family and friends. I lost my uncle to cancer last year during the lockdown and I was not able to say my final farewell to him. And just like that he was gone. 

That lead me to realise how little time we have with the people we love. It is never enough, every hour, every minute and every second counts. This became even more apparent when I lost my furkid this year. One moment, he was actively running around and in just a few months, his health deteriorated and then he was gone. As much time I spend with him but I realised it was never enough and I wish I had more. 

Secondly, how important rest and relax is to our lives. Because of the lockdown, while stuck at home, I managed to rest more than I had over the past decade. Catching up on movies, spending quality time with loved ones and also minimal rushing helped me to reduce my anxiety. Not significantly but at least a little compared to previously. I even have some alone time to reflect and spend on my own which is very refreshing.

Third, I realised how much money I spent on unnecessary things. One is my petrol on a monthly basis. Because driving was minimal, my petrol spending dropped by the hundreds if not thousands over the last 2 years. Next is cinemas, I averagely spend so much on tickets, food and drinks per trip. Eating out is costly as well. 

Fourth is that how important our health is. I had multiple scares with close contacts and every time when I get back my test results, it was a relieve. The anxiety from waiting for the results is horrendous. Hence that's why I take my health and the wellbeing of my family seriously. And to comply to the SOP. 

Fifth, I realise how unreasonable or overbearing some people are. Basic things like not going out for a gathering or wearing a mask become a heated conversation. This leads me to understand and accept that everyone is different and that they have their own opinion and thoughts as well. Which helps me to be less annoyed and angry. They can say what they want and I will just tell myself "that is their point, good for them" and move on.

So I would not say that my last 2 years were uneventful, it was just different and educational. 


Comments