The Covid Week


Recently I have contracted the plague of our century the Covid 19 virus. After 3 years of careful threading and maneuvering, I could not avoid this round. When I tested positive, it did not scare me like I thought I would. If it was a year or two back I would have feared for my life. But this time around I took it calmly, almost like I was expecting it to happen. 

It all started the morning when I woke up. I felt my throat was feeling really dry and spotty. I knew something was not right, I never had this level of dry-ish sore throat before. It felt weird. I immediately did a self-test and viola it was a clear double line. My immediate concern was not my health but the guilt of causing those in close contact a disruption of their work. The early symptoms hit me like a storm. The afternoon of the very same day my head started to spin then later in the evening my body started aching. Fingers, back, shoulder, and right elbow. I was suddenly cast into a dream-like state. I could not differentiate between the real world and the hallucinogenic world in my head. I continued sleeping. 

Day two was slightly better, my head was still spinning but now it brought a friend the headache. By now my throat is like a rock concert. Sore and swollen. The body ache slowed down, and I woke up to try to eat something. My wife who also tested positive did not show any symptoms. She took care of me. By the evening, the fever started appearing. By now my symptoms are going into full swing. From the duet to a 3 piece band and I was anticipating a full 5 piece band coming soon. By now I started hallucinating a little at night. I woke up at 3am thinking I was talking to someone but I realized it was myself. I saw a portal-like image in my head, but I forced myself to wake up. When I woke up, I was not sure I was awakened. My head was still spinning and aching. Then I went back to sleep. It went on a cycle of 2-3 hours of waking up thinking it was real but it was a dream.

Day 3 is when the full concert begins, all the band has assembled now it was high octane heavy metal concert. My fever shot up to 39C and at the same time spinning head, sore throat, and body aches. I started to get chills and at the same time, my stool is soft. My stomach was aching and I was not sure if was it a nature call or was it just one of the aches in my entire body. My wife was trying to douse my fever with a wet towel. It helped quite a lot. However, I think by now, my body is going through the peak of the war. The fever and headache were coming and going. At a point, I felt hot and at a point, I get the chills. All the same time I was in a state where I was drifting in and out of sleep. By now I have lost my voice. I was thinking, this should be it, this is the peak. I will get better after this. I need to endure. It was chaotic, my mind and body were all over the place. The song "You spin me right round" sums this up. 

Just like the movies, Day 4 was like the dawn of hope. Sunrise and the skies are blue and birds chirping. The heavy metal concert is over. It is like the after-party hangover. My headache and sore throat have simmered down. Just a lingering fever here and there and a slight tingle of soreness in my throat. I felt much better. Although I felt that I was still floating, my mind felt like the scientist in Pacific Rim after finishing drifting with the Kaiju brain. Felt surreal and unsure. Battered but better. By the end of day 4 my fever was all gone. Slight lightheadedness but it was all right. I enjoyed my first meal although my appetite was still low. 

Day 5 is the renewal day. Still feeling some of the battle scars, my voice was slowly coming back. However, I still can't find that extra strength like I always do. But my wife started to have a fever and now is my turn to take care of her. Fed her and dabbed her forehead and back with a wet towel. Monitoring her temperature. 

Day 6 felt as if nothing has happened. I woke up very fresh and with not a sore or ache in my body. Felt weird, it is as if life has resumed. My appetite started to get back. But I still feel lethargic, by late afternoon my energy was drained. Slept the whole evening. 

Day 7 was just waiting for the home quarantine to be over. Did a self-test in the morning and it still shows two lines. However, by the evening I was cleared. 

Now I am back to work. Felt surreal as if the past 7 days were a dream. Like it did not happen but it did. Maybe that is the post covid symptoms. What a week it was. 



Comments